Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tutorial: burp cloths

My all-time favorite baby gift to give is homemade burp cloths. They're something that every mom needs, whether it's their first baby or their 5th (burp cloths are used way too much to survive through more than a few babies!) I like to make a lot of these at one time so I have a quick but thoughtful gift whenever anyone I know has a baby. They're inexpensive, easy and quick to make, and who doesn't love a homemade gift?



This TUTORIAL might bore you sewers out there. This sewing project would definitely fit in the "beginners" category. But those who like step-by-step instructions for even the easiest project, read on...

What you'll need:

Chenille fabric
Cotton or flannel fabric
Sewing machine

Start by cutting out your fabric. The size of my rectangles were about 9 1/4" x 14 1/2". One side of the burp cloth will be chenille and the other either cotton or flannel. I got my cotton fabric from a girl in my ward who sells designer fabrics. Check out her stuff! HBfabrics, on Facebook and etsy. She had so many cute fabrics, it was hard to pick just a few! I like to give a package of 3 burp cloths, each with a different fabric for variety.



With right sides together, sew around the edges.


I like to round the corners. You can draw on the fabric for your guide or just eyeball it.


Leave about a 3" hole on one side so you can flip the fabric right side out.


Trim the edges.


Turn right side out by pushing all the fabric through your 3" hole.



Iron the edges flat.


Sew the hole closed.


That's all there is to it! I like to roll up the burp cloths and tie them together when I give them.



I made 3 girl sets and 3 boy sets. I'm all set! If you're a friend or family member who's pregnant try to be surprised when you receive this when you have your baby :)

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute jess. I make those too, but mine aren't as cute as yours....
    I'm just getting caught up on your blog. I love the car shirt idea. I'm way bummed I didn't enter the giveaway. Sam would love that, it'd be like a massage every night. ha ha. I'll have to try making that soup. My little Tucker doesn't get enough veggies. And I LOVE that poem. So funny. So true. Hope you're liking your new city. We need to come visit you guys one of these days, we live so close to you! Just like an hour away..maybe less. Did you know that? I keep meaning to call you but you know how life gets. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Way cuter than the burp cloths I make! I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They joggle from the office of being wives to that of being mothers and being CEOs of companies. Many women in the cooperate world do not find it easy to climb the cooperate ladder, not because they are in any way less intelligent or less qualified than their male counterparts, but simply because of the unfortunate stereotype that they are women.cleaning cloth

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are SO cute! ! I need to start making these–what an easy and frugal gift! Thanks for sharing.

    Gretta Hewson
    Apollo Seattle Luxury Architecture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its awesome !! towels and cleaning cloths are very important tool for doing household chores. You have wrapped it up beautifully as a gift and we could share those with our beloved ones. Thank you for this idea !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must Visit For pure silk nightwear Pure silk is one of the great things that provide comfortable feelings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...